Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Guiltless Goodies: Riversol is the hot new - cruelty-free - skincare line to try

Hi all!

Sorry for the long delay - again - in between posts. I will try and be more regular but more delays may be forthcoming as my schedule gets increasingly crazy. Please forgive!

I was a lucky girl recently and was sent some samples of Vancouver's own Riversol skincare line to test out. This skincare line, developed by dermatologist Dr. Jason Rivers and Dean Johansson, is produced locally in Vancouver, BC and actually was the official skincare line for the ten men and eight women on the Canadian Freestyle Ski Team in the recent Vancouver Winter Olympics. The team used the brand's fragrance-free, hypoallergenic T-Plus line.

"Riversol incorporates a highly effective moisturizing system that will keep the team's skin protected and hydrated in the extremely dry and cold conditions they are constantly exposed to during outdoor training and competition," said Dr. Rivers in a recent press release distributed by Riversol Skin Care, Inc. The T-Plus line contains Thujaplicin, an ingredient derived from the Western Red Cedar Tree, the official tree of British Columbia. This potent natural antioxidant has anti-aging effects, added the release.

I tried the brand's moisturizing concentrate, moisturizer, eye cream, foaming gel cleanser and cream cleanser. I also got a friend to sample a couple of the products as she has a different skin type to me and would be able to offer more accurate and diverse feedback. Also, I sampled these products as I travelled home for a week, so the change in climates provided an extra challenge for the products to overcome - my skin is usually combination - oily in the T-zone and dry on the cheeks - but being in Vancouver for the past few months has meant it has become oily all over. So I used the foaming gel cleanser mainly, and the cream cleanser while home when my skin dried out from travel. I use the eye cream every morning and I sampled both moisturizers. Here's my - and when I couldn't contribute, my friend's - feedback (all prices in Canadian $):

- Foaming gel cleanser: I loved this. I have never had a gel cleanser that foamed, only cream. The gel was excellent for my oily skin and felt very refreshing, so was great in the morning to wake you up. It would be ideal for a person who suffers from acne or oily skin. $35, 8 fl oz (240ml)

- Cream cleanser: This provided a rich lather which was soothing for the skin but to be honest, I used it only once while travelling (it certainly helped combat airplane dryness!). My girlfriend used it for a few days straight and said she definitely felt that her skin was softer and smoother even before applying moisturizer, so she was sold. $35, 8 fl oz (240ml)
- Eye cream: This was my favourite of the products that I sampled. A good eye cream is an essential tool for every woman to have in her beauty kit, from a young age, because it's an excellent preventative. With this one, I can feel it working. $60, 0.5oz (15g)


- Moisturizing lotion: This lotion is so light that you will barely feel it on your skin, which is a good thing - particularly if your skin is oily at all. This is a great daytime lotion. $70, 2oz (60g)

- Moisturizing concentrate: This was a bit too oily for me but my mom loved it - for older skin and dry skin it is extremely nourishing, so it is probably best used for specific skin types that require that extra hydration. $70, 2 oz (60g)


Listen up soon for a Riversol giveaway! And find out more about the company and buy its products online at www.riversol.com.

Proving you don't have to be cruel to be kind,

GiGi

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post guys! We might try to work a reference to this one into the Riversol skin care blog later next week. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the informative post guys! We might try to work a reference to this one into the Riversol skin care blog later next week. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete