Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Guiltless & Glamorous: What to expect from GiGi

Nice to meet you all, fellow glamour-pusses who want to be guiltless. This blog will show you how! It really is easy - it just takes a bit of research and a bit of thought.

I have already introduced myself briefly in my intro post so I won't repeat myself. This post focuses instead on what you can expect to see from me on the blog.

I will do a lot of editorializing, taking fashion and beauty features from popular monthly magazines (such as InStyle, Redbook, Self Magazine, Marie Claire and so on...) and re-post them with the 'cruel' options removed - i.e. no cosmetics will be featured from companies that test on animals, and no clothing will be showcased unless it comes from a line that has pledged never to use fur (sadly, it would be slim pickings indeed if I banished leather as well, but although I will promote lines that use leather I will never promote individual items that are leather).

Please note you will never see any features from VOGUE magazine on here - I am not a fan of Anna Wintour's to say the least - what she has singlehandedly done to promote the fur industry is absolutely appalling and I am ashamed to share her first name (and initials, sadly). For those of you who aren't so passionately anti-fur, her views on other issues are not too enlightening either (asking Oprah to lose weight for a VOGUE cover? Photoshopping Hilary Clinton? Please.)

Enough of the unpleasantness. What you will notice is that this blog strives to be positive and upbeat in its tone - it is a sad fact that many major cosmetics companies do still test on animals and that many fashion designers - particularly the so-called haute couture lines do still use fur in their designs, and while I actively encourage boycotting these companies, I do so by showcasing the vast array of other excellent, cruelty-free products that are out there. So rather than inundating readers with disturbing and upsetting stories of animal cruelty, I prefer to show you what you can buy and feel good about buying. There will also be occasional news updates to let you know of advances in the industry - it's important to encourage companies that are moving towards a cruelty-free policy, so I will let you all know so that you can write emails of encouragement - trust me, they do make a difference.

And of course, recognizing that all budgets are out there, this blog will feature products at a range of price points, and will be separated and headlined accordingly. Below are the names of the various sections of the blog that I will post on, to assist you in finding what you're looking for.

Happy reading and, more importantly, happy guiltless and glamorous shopping!


You don't have to be cruel to be kind,
GiGi


Here's the 411 on the various sections you can expect to find on this blog:

Guiltless Goodies
Any post headlined with this will feature a variety of products - from bags, shoes and clothing that are designed and/or sold by fur-free companies to beauty products made and sold by companies who have banned animal testing - that can be purchased guilt-free. 
These will usually be separated into the following categories to indicate what budgets they are suitable for:

Bargain Buys
Ideal Investment
Expensive Elegance

Necessary News
News stories and updates on industry changes or advancements to keep you up-to-date on what companies to support with your shopping habits!

Icky Institutions
These companies are currently testing on animals or supporting the sale and use of fur in fashion - so any posts under this heading will keep you updated on what is going on with these companies' policies.


Caring Companies
These posts will update you on activities of companies, designers, manufacturers, retailers who have committed to banishing cruelty from their business processes. 

3 comments:

  1. if you are looking for some good and stylish pair of converse shoes within very marketable price then must go for
    http://www.treds.co.uk/manufacturer/converse/21/1

    ReplyDelete
  2. My face has a reddish tone even when it looks perfectly clear. I think it might be rosacea or anything else. I want to know that Riversol products are good for my skin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry; this blog I designed to provide people with information on cruelty-free products, but I am not an expert on what conditions they will help and I haven't tried them all myself. I have heard good things about Riversol but don't know for specific conditions. I'm sure a quick Google might help! Gigixx

    ReplyDelete