Monday, October 19, 2009

Welcome all consciences

Yes, it is important to have a conscience. Especially in the times we live in, which are often corrupt and are always capitalist.

Companies like to make money. This is their main goal. Whether they are in food production or fashion or construction, all businesses, at the end of the day, have a bottom line. A financial goal they need to meet. Sadly, in order to meet this bottom line many of them look for the cheap way out - not caring who they hurt in the process.

I'm sure everyone visiting this site has heard, at one point or other, about sweat shops and the cruelties of the leather industry. There are many shocking statistics out there about these industries, and many unpleasant stories and pictures. Many of us find it easier to deal with this by turning our heads. I know, I understand, I did it for many years too. It seemed too overwhelming - "I'm just one person! How can I change anything? I'm sure it didn't happen to the products I'm using - they're major brands with lots of money.

Actually, the major brands are some of the worst. But I'm not here to preach. I am GiGi (well, actually I'm Anna but for this blog's purposes, I'm GiGi - Guiltless & Glamorous). I have lived, so far, for two and a half years as a vegetarian and do my best to be a leather- and fur-free shopper, also choosing beauty products that were not tested on animals.

With Guiltless and Glamorous I will save our consciences - both yours and mine - by featuring items, products, brands that are, to the best of my knowledge, guilt-free - not tested on animals, not using leather or fur products and also that are great products. I welcome any input as well - two minds are better than one after all, and you may know some information that I am not aware of.

Although I want to keep the focus of this blog positive, and celebrate those products that have taken steps to eradicate animal cruelty from their production, I will have a post up on the blog soon which lists companies that so far continue to test on animals and/or use fur and leather extensively in their collections. That way anyone who wants to be more conscious about their shopping can check out who not to buy first. Boycotting a company can work - KFC in Canada, for example, changed its chicken-slaughtering methods to more humane methods after enough people boycotted the restaurant. KFC in the US has yet to follow suit though, so please continue to boycott!

I don't affiliate myself with any particular animal welfare organization but do support most if not all of these organizations, as they all work for a common and worthy cause, though they all use a variety of methods and some of them incorporate scare tactics that puts people off rather than draws them in. Keep an open mind, and even if this is not your personal cause that you want to champion, it never hurts to make smart choices when shopping!

And remember: you don't have to be cruel to be kind,
GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment