Monday, December 28, 2009

Guiltless Goodies and Bargain Buys: Shopping the New Year sales for a move into cooler climes

Hi all!

After many mentions of the warmer climes in which I live, I am now taking a deep breath - gulp - and announcing that I will soon - as in, the next few weeks soon - be moving back up north to Vancouver (yes, Canada!) for a few months. Yes, a few months - January, February and March - which are some of the coldest of the year. Funny how these decisions come about - clearly this one was not influenced by weather but more by a need for a fresh new change in the fresh New Year. I am very excited about this change but a little hesitant about my winter wardrobe, which currently consists of a warm and fuzzy American Eagle Outfitters hoodie sweater, a pair of Ugg boots awaiting me in Vancouver, and a nice pair of heeled brown boots for fancier occasions. Other than that I have a great double-breasted coat in Vancouver and endless amounts of thin wraps (layering is essential!), a few long-sleeved tees and a healthy collection of mittens and hats.

So ultimately there isn't too much to add, but I will be in a busy and stylish city for at least 12 Friday nights, so there's going to have to be some improvements...but moving is also expensive. For this reason, I've compiled a selection of on-sale, budget (love New Year sales!) and cozy items from cruelty-free stores that will help my transition into the cooler weather, and will hopefully start off your New Year closets without breaking your wallets.

Proving you don't have to be cruel to be kind,
GiGi

Boucle plunging v-neck sweater, VictoriasSecret.com, $39 reduced from $48.

I love this sweater - it comes in a variety of colours, so you don't need to just get one, and they are long enough to be worn with leggings and Uggs for a casual day in but fancy enough - thanks to the boucle texture and the V-neckline (and the amazing jade green colour shown below!) - to be paired with a jeans-and-boots combo. For night, swap the jeans with black pants or leggings and put a lacy camisole underneath the sweater, with some sparkly flats - or, if you prefer heels, go for heels. Voila! Several outfits in one - true bargain shopping.



Striped sweater dress, CharlotteRusse.com, $13.49 reduced from $26.99

My best friend came down from Vancouver to spend Christmas with me. I barely recognized her getting off the plane - she had cut bangs into her hair which made a big difference - but mainly because of her style. She had been travelling for nearly 24 hours - overnighting in Boston and having to stop in Chicago and Charlotte, North Carolina, before landing in Cayman. I expected someone in a sweatshirt and Uggs, but off walked my best friend in coloured tights, a sweater dress and black boots, with a new hairstyle. She's always been beautiful but she looked great and totally restored my faith in sweater dresses. At this price, this dress will restore your faith as well!


Deena & Ozzy Menswear Pump, UrbanOutfitters.com, $39.99 reduced from $48 (online sale only)

I might have to be doing some office work here and there to fund my trip north and will need a reliable pair of stylish but sturdy - and warm! - pumps. These from Urban Outfitters fit the bill perfectly: they're stylish (tweed being so fashionable this season), they're office-appropriate with the low heel and neutral colours and they are closed-toe for that cold weather. An all-round winner!



Fine corduroy pant in smart straight fit, Esprit.com, $39.99 reduced from about $60

Everyone needs a well-fitting, clean and quality pair of corduroys to get them through the winter. They can be dressed up or down and come in colours like beige or brown, which go with almost everything. This pair from Esprit are high quality and a great savings!

Padded plaid jacket in wool blend with faux fur, Esprit.com, $99.99 reduced from about $150

I have, as I mentioned before, a great double-breasted winter coat but it's always important to have a fun jacket to throw on for more casual outings, and the plaid print, faux fur trim and fun toggle details make this the perfect jacket.



No comments:

Post a Comment