Friday, December 4, 2009

Necessary News: Some updates to Icky Institutions list

Hi all!

I have made some changes to the Icky Institutions list originally posted on this site (the second entry written, posted in October 2009). Unfortunately, I have done further research and discovered that some companies I thought - and have promoted on this site - were cruelty free are not. For example, although Burt's Bees claims not to test on animals, it is actually owned by Clorox, which is well-known for its animal testing habits. So by purchasing Burt's Bees products you are still, ultimately, funding the giant that owns them - and that is one big, cruel giant.

Some other stunners were revealed to me - Estee Lauder and MAC, for example. And people, DON'T be distracted by The Body Shop's once animal-saving message! It has been bought out by L'Oreal and its products are no longer free from animal testing.

Science Diet, a pet food, was bought by Colgate-Palmolive, which tests its products on animals and everyone knows about IAMS and its outrageous animal testing facilities - and these are pet foods!

Of course I am here to blog about cosmetics and fashion, but let me add one more note: I often editorialize on magazine fashion and beauty features in my posts. I tend not to discriminate when it comes to choosing magazines to feature, as most of them are advertising-driven and will almost never ban a product or company from its pages. That being said, I will NEVER EVER support or editorialize or promote or comment on any feature from the pages of VOGUE magazine. Anna Wintour is one of the worst perpetrators of fur promotion in the fashion industry and unfortunately, for some who-knows-what reason, she is respected (or, more likely, feared but still - think of Hitler - the effect is often the same) so people listen to her. I don't. But some do. So for that reason, I won't touch that magazine with a 10-foot pole.

Take a look at the lists and try to remember it's not all doom and gloom - I have also discovered some lines that don't test on animals that I have also added to the Caring Companies list, so please peruse that and see what product lines you can support and use to replace those items you have abandoned knowing the truth behind their creation.

Stay glamorous but most of all, stay guiltless.


You don't have to be cruel to be kind,
GiGi

No comments:

Post a Comment